Thursday, October 29THE LEGISLATURE

Boko Haram Attack: Gov. Zulum Vows to Deploy Hunters if Military cannot Protect Baga, Others

The Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, has expressed his displeasure over the attack on his convoy by terrorists on Wednesday, stating that he will deploy hunters if the military is unable to secure Baga.

The governor reacting to the attack on Thursday said, “We have over 1,181 soldiers in Baga; 72 officers, 107 soldiers, 400 soldiers in Mile 4 and 1,900 soldiers in Monguno. I see no reason why Boko Haram will not stop to operate in Baga town.

“The troops have been in Mile 4 for over one year, there is complete sabotage, the problem is not with President Buhari, or General Buratai but the command and control structures. There is a need to look into the command structure.

“We have over 80,000 IDPs in Monguno, they cannot continue to depend on NGOs and others for food, we have created opportunity for them to go back to their communities and continue with their business and farming activities.”

He said: “After Sallah, we will go back to Kukawa. We will give time to the military; but if they will not clear Baga, we will mobilise our hunters and vigilantes to recapture Baga… we can’t continue like this. People have to take their destiny in their hands.”
“We have over 80,000 IDPs in Monguno, they cannot continue to depend on NGOs and others for food, we have created opportunity for them to go back to their communities and continue with their business and farming activities.”

He said: “After Sallah, we will go back to Kukawa. We will give time to the military; but if they will not clear Baga, we will mobilise our hunters and vigilantes to recapture Baga… we can’t continue like this. People have to take their destiny in their hands.”

The military, however, said it would investigate the attack on the convoy.

The military authorities in a statement by the spokesman of the Army, Col. Sagir Musa, who confirmed the attack on the convoy of the governor, admitted that the Governor had earlier paid a visit to the Commander, 19 Brigade, at the Nigerian Army Super Camp Baga where he was fully briefed about the prevailing security situation in the general area.

Musa said. “The unfortunate incident occurred shortly after the Governor and his entourage departed the Super Camp to visit other parts of Baga town. The incident forced the Governor to abort his planned movement to Baga.

“Although, details of the unfortunate incident are sketchy and under investigation, efforts are ongoing to comb the area where the incident occurred with a view to track down and deal decisively with the attackers. An investigation is also in progress to identify the circumstances that led to the attack.

Regrettably, this is an isolated and most unfortunate incident that occurred in a territory where normalcy has since been restored with socio-economic activities picking up. The Nigerian Army wants to reassure the general public that this will be interrogated with a view to forestalling future re-occurrence.

%d bloggers like this: